|Click to see lager|
It's so nice to blog about this packaging job, as it is here that my client, Turner Duckworth found me. The design team came across an earlier post of my linocut prints via a google search and envisaged something similar might work well on a new sandwich range they'd been commissioned to design for Waitrose supermarkets.
When I went along to meet Turner Duckworth and take the brief I was surprised and delighted to see they had printed off several examples from here and my website to explain what they liked and thought might work for their product. They explained that Waitrose required designs for sandwich skillets in six basic food groups; beef, ham, poultry, seafood, vegetarian and duck. They also wanted me to incorporate words that conveyed information about the products with the images.
Now it's great to see the job as a real product range on the supermarket shelves - as well as here on my blog. It shows how important it is to record what I get up to on professional as well as my personal projects.
I'm very grateful to Turner Duckworth for their decision to use me in the first place, and for making the results look so good. I believe the products are selling well so far and Waitrose are very happy with the results.
These pictures were taken in my local store.
|Beef and chicken wraps|
|Point of sale banner|
|And this was very nice to see on the conveyor belt at the till|
|Side view of sandwich packs|
As I say, my work was spotted here and on my website, which made it easy to brief me about what Waitrose had agreed to in theory. These are the five bits of work on the brief;
|The Small Creature|
|Night time from The Orangutan Book|
|Oxford Brookes Tree|
|Land Securities Butcher's Board|
The joy of this project was that I was allowed to experiment with different images. So for the veggie image I made potato prints (using a scalpel). Then I played about at printing them over and over.
|Scan with gouache paint|
|An early style suggestion for vegetables|
Some varieties were always heading in the right direction.
|Early visual for chicken|
|Early images of butcher's cut diagram|
|Early visual for ham|
|A rough for the fish packaging|
I was given just over a week to complete this project, which doesn't sound long, but these things always run over a bit!